5.20.2010

One step at a time? Pssst...

Marriage was sweet, graduation will be bittersweet, and once residency starts in one month, I'll most likely just be bitter. But I'm incredibly happy to be married, and to be starting an entirely brand new chapter of my life, which probably should be titled something close to "Tjoson finally becomes an adult". 33 years of coasting ain't so bad... Now, I'm transitioning from "single student living in Virginia" to "married doctor living in California". This is throwing the "one step at a time" adage completely out the window!

A pic from our mini-moon with the in-laws at Joan & Bob's Woodward House in Front Royal:


During these past four years, the most important lessons I've learned have not been about treating disease or communicating with patients, but have regarded efficiency, will, and the power to accomplish things when we use them to their fullest. Working close to 80 hours a week under constant scrutiny and with tests always looming, while hurling towards a future that was uncertain until match day this year was difficult, even with no extenuating circumstances. I had my health, the health of those around me, and my financial security (with the help of government loans).

However, I have classmates, and very good friends, who managed to do all of this while raising children, while taking care of sick family, and, in the most outstanding of circumstances, while undergoing surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation to beat cancer. And they are some of the most gracious, positive-minded people I have ever met. I am glad I got to know and become friends with each person I have over the past 4 years, and I've no doubt that I will keep their example close to my heart every day that I work. The graduating class of 2010 is full of creative, hard-working, disciplined people whose accomplishments will continue to inspire and motivate me for the rest of my career. For them, I write this post and raise a glass!

No comments: