7.23.2008

Summer

After an all-too-quick summer break, I started my third year of school today. I read part of The Zahir over break, which is a similar, albeit less idealistic, novel to Coelho's other spiritual books like The Alchemist and By the River Piedra... Reading it is making me realize that I've slowly transitioned into a "do-er" more than a "seeker". Not that the two are mutually exclusive, but there were many years where I would tend to lose myself in thought and self-absorption, thinking about my place in relationships and in the world, where I wanted to go, and what would make me happy. I realize now that I am far less contemplative and think more along the lines of, "I gotta get shit done". I'm sure that trying to keep a balance between the two is important to staying happy, and is something that I'll continually strive for. Here's a quote from the book:

"All energy and all knowledge come from the same unknown source, which we usually call God. What I've tried to do in my life is to honor that energy, to connect with it every day...to learn by doing and not by thinking about doing."

Below is a picture of the ricotta pancakes and sweet bacon at the Kangaroo House B & B on Orcas Island, WA. Hands down, my most enjoyable meal of the summer, especailly since I was able to eat it with P.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Albeit? I don't even know how to begin to use that word... Yes, for someone who doesn't think much of pancakes, those ones sure can change your mind!